For several years my agency had a backlog of orders for developing client infographics. The demand for infographic design services seems to have dropped in the last few years, but I have no idea why. When looking for an edge to launch a new domain or grab organic and social media attention, infographics are still our go-to strategy. The demand for infographic-related searches dropped a little bit but has been steadily on the climb again.
When publishing a topic on Martech Zone, one of the first searches I do is for relevant infographics. I love sharing (and providing a backlink) to companies to take the time to develop an incredible infographic. A solid visual like that is fantastic for engaging visitors, providing them with shareable content, and driving backlinks that help the brand that developed them garner organic search ranking.
I’m not saying that there aren’t downsides to an infographic strategy, though. For the effort (or expense), having an infographic that doesn’t garner attention can take a chunk of your budget and resources. There are alternatives, though. One alternative is to search for infographics on royalty-free graphic template sites. For a few bucks, you can download some beautiful infographics or graphic sets that you can use to design your infographic. One such site is depositphotos:
Of course, this still requires that you understand how to utilize a platform like Adobe Creative Cloud to edit the completed design. If that’s not within your budget or talent, fear not… you can utilize several platforms with fantastic pre-made infographic templates that you can easily update, publish, and deliver as your own.
Online Infographic Makers
- Canva is a versatile design platform for creating presentations, social media graphics, and more. While it’s not primarily promoted as an infographic design platform, it can absolutely be utilized for this. And, if you’re an enterprise customer, they have some fantastic tools to ensure your branding is consistent and you can collaborate with others.
- Easelly is an online infographic maker that offers a wide range of features and templates. Easel.ly is known for its user-friendly interface and the ability to hire its community of designers to help you!
- Piktochart is an online infographic maker that offers a wide range of features and templates. Piktochart is known for its ability to create visually appealing and informative infographics. Pick and customize one of our business infographic templates to get started. No design skills are needed.
- Visme is a powerful online infographic maker that allows you to create stunning visuals from scratch or customize pre-made templates. Visme offers a wide range of features, including a drag-and-drop editor, a library of images and graphics, and the ability to add charts, graphs, and tables.
- Venngage is another popular online infographic maker that offers a wide range of features and templates. Venngage is known for its user-friendly interface and ability to create visually appealing and informative infographics.
Once you have created your infographic, you can download it in various formats, including PNG, JPG, PDF, and even HTML. You can also embed your infographic on your website or blog. Here are some tips for creating an effective infographic:
- Start with a clear purpose. What do you want your infographic to achieve? Are you trying to educate your audience, persuade them to take action, or entertain them?
- Choose the right data. Your infographic should be based on relevant, interesting, and easy-to-understand data.
- Use visuals effectively. Infographics are all about visuals, so use them to your advantage. Use charts, graphs, and other visuals to help your audience understand your data.
- Keep it simple. Infographics should be easy to read and understand. Avoid using too much text or too many complex visuals.
- Proofread carefully. Before you publish your infographic, proofread it carefully for any errors.
- Compress your image. Don’t export directly out of the tools you’re using. Running your infographic through an image compressor is a must so that it can be viewed quickly and easily downloaded and shared.
- Update it! If you’ve published an infographic that takes off, but the data or information is outdated, edit it and publish it again. You’d be surprised at how an updated infographic will even exceed the popularity of the last as it reaches new audiences.
Lastly, pitch and promote your infographic! You’d be surprised how many publishers (like myself) love sharing a great infographic with our audience. If you’re not sure where to start… here are some ideas:
- Complex Concepts – If you’ve got a concept that’s hard to explain, an infographic is a fantastic way to help your audience visualize the concept.
- Timelines – Want to provide a visual timeline of events or advancements in your business? Infographics are a fantastic way to do this.
- How-To’s – Multi-step processes make for a great infographic.
- Charts – Data visualization is a must and infographics are a perfect medium for displaying and sharing them.
- Lists – Having a single infographic with a list – of statistics, vendors, explanations, etc. is a great way to share your expertise.
And don’t forget to repurpose these infographics! The imagery and information you provide in an infographic can be easily used in presentations, advertisements, one-sheets, or other sales and marketing materials.
Don’t hesitate to submit your infographic to Martech Zone if it’s related to our content!